Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Another review of Why Lawyers Should Surf

By Jaimal Nikos Yogis, author of 'Saltwater Buddha':
"I’m not a lawyer (and I never will be) but I’m thoroughly enjoying Why Lawyers Should Surf. Tim Kevan, a British surfer, lawyer, and now a novelist, gets just about as close as any writers past to nailing the ineffable nature of surfing, not just with his own deft descriptions, but by referencing great thinkers past. He quotes everyone from Goethe (“All is born of water; all is sustained by water”) to Jules Verne (“The sea is everything”) to T.S. Eliot (“I have seen [the mermaids] riding seawards on the waves/Combing the white hair of the waves blown back”). It’s just the sort of thing we pelagic lit junkies get off on, but I think anyone who has a connection to the sea will enjoy this read. I found myself able to apply most of the insights pointed toward lawyers toward my life as a writer. The wisdom rocks back and forth between broad and very specific. Of course, it also makes a great gift for your stressed out lawyer friends. Available on Amazon here."

To see the review online, click here.

No comments: