Thursday, November 5, 2009

Drift Europe covers Nick Harvey MP's surprising response to the Marine and Coastal Access Bill

Great to see that Drift Europe has covered North Devon MP Nick Harvey's surprising response to the Marine and Coastal Access Bill in which he said: "I have been lobbying the Government on behalf of North Devon Holiday park owners and holidaymakers who are rightly concerned about the impact of the access proposals under the...Bill. This has all sorts of implications for security, safety and public liability and has rightly caused alarm with members of the British Holiday and Home Parks Association...Nor do I welcome the prospect of the Secretary of State riding rough shod over landowners' objections."

UPDATE
I have since had an answer from Nick Harvey MP in which he clarifies his position. It can be read here
.

1 comment:

Nick said...

Tim

I have not at any stage said that I don't support the Bill, and as you know it went through last week unopposed. Had there been a vote I would have supported it.

As originally drafted, the Bill put limitless liabilities onto coastal landowners. It would have left - for example - campsite owners obliged to allow absolutely anyone to come onto their sites, invalidating their insurance policies and opening them up to responsibility for thefts from tents and caravans, or worse still allowing unknown people to walk through swimming pool areas where kids might be playing on their own.

These were the issues I and many others - mainly in the Lords - took up. Happily, sanity prevailed and the Government took these problems on board through amendments and crucially the ability of landowners to have their individual cases assessed.

It is a distortion of my view to say that I was not supporting the admirable environmental and social objectives of the Bill. I was simply flagging up to you and others who wrote in that I had some reservations on specific points which I wanted to see resolved. I am pleased that they now have been and the Bill is through.

Nick Harvey
MP for North Devon