Friday, October 7, 2011

How about Dominic Grieve to replace Ken Clarke as Justice Secretary?

I see that The Guardian are predicting that Ken Clarke will be given ‘enforced retirement’ at the next reshuffle along with potentially other justice ministers Crispin Blunt and Jonathan Djanogly. With the enormous changes being introduced by the Department for Justice, if the ministerial changes do happen as predicted it’s crucial that high quality ministers with a good grasp of detail are appointed. For my part, I’d like to see the Attorney General (and my former pupilmaster) Dominic Grieve take over as Justice Secretary (and with it also the role of Lord Chancellor). As for junior ministers, I don’t think they should necessarily limit themselves to former lawyers. Instead, how about going for some of the very brightest of the new intake of MPs such as Kwasi Kwarteng and Louise Mensch?

No comments: