If you have injured your back at work you should do the following:
• Immediately report the incident to your employer
• Follow your employer's procedures regarding injuries and illnesses, such as obtaining sick notes
• Consult your GP and follow any medical advice that you are given
If you feel that your back injury was due to the negligence of your employer, a fellow worker, or a substandard system of work, then you may consider talking to a specialist personal injury solicitor. Before you contact a lawyer, note down the following points so that you are well prepared to give an accurate picture of your work role, and the circumstances surrounding your injury.
• What does your job entail, and which part of your role do you feel caused the injury.
• Did your employer give you manual handling training?
• Make a note of the weight of the objects that you were required to lift.
• Draw a diagram of how you were expected to lift these objects.
• Were you given any machinery to assist you?
Workers should seek advice from specialist back injury solicitors to establish if they have a claim.